In entering the field of Spiritual Mentoring, we run across many church doctrines, historical teachings and some outright dangerous beliefs. Recently a dear person came with a book from her pastor. The basic premise was that “God doesn’t talk to us personally anymore as He has given us the Bible. All His words are to found here and no other revelation or interpretation is to be used. He has written everything He needed to say in the Bible.”
Well, I am not sure which group this book belongs in but it was certainly stunting this person’s walk in knowing the Living Jesus.
Now, while we all would agree that the Bible is the all encompassing, total word from God, many believers would question this ‘black and white’ statement. In fact, one of the main reasons people do not know they can hear from their Creator is because they don’t believe that they can!
This can be for many reasons, mainly boiling down to the ignorance that He does speak and they can hear Him. Such things as wrong church theology, lack of experience, or not having someone in their life that can tell them: You can Hear From God! Without knowing that hearing from Him is even possible, there is no expectation to hear from Him.
However, did you ever hear of an army where their Commander in Chief did not communicate? ….or a loving father that never talked to their children. Well …. Our Christian walk is dry and weary unless we walk the journey with Him, hearing and responding, knowing His wisdom – yes all within the foundations of the Bible!
It is one of the greatest illuminations for someone to begin their journey – that He loves them enough to talk to them. I cannot stress this enough because I believe it as it is the basis for being a Jesus Follower – to hear, to talk with and to listen to the One who knows us better than anyone!
I’m not planning on giving you a big Bible study on this topic. Only one passage for you to think about: John 16:12-15
”I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. But when He, the Spirit of Truth, comes, He will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; He will speak only what He hears and He will tell you what is yet to come. He will bring glory to Me by taking from what is Mine and making it known to you. All that belongs to the Father is Mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is Mine and make it known to you.“ (New International Version)
Please notice several things from this:
1. Verse 12 Jesus had much more to say.
He had only given the disciples a small portion of His wisdom. He would have to go away (by his death) in order for the Father to send the Holy Spirit. They couldn’t handle anything more at this time, but in His compassion, He would send Another to pick up where Jesus left off. It was planned to be a continuation of a personal walk with Him.
2. Verse 13 ….but when the Holy Spirit comes, the Spirit of Truth, who can be everywhere at one time, He will guide (point or show the truthful way) where God wants us to go.
This can be a gradual revelation, but it is a journey accompanied by the Holy Spirit. The Spirit hears and proclaims what the Trinity agree to in unity. Again the plan was to have this personal Guide to continue to reveal and teach about Him.
3. Part of the role the Holy Spirit was to show them things to come, ie prophecy of the future.
Again this means an unfolding of God’s plan rather than a finished product when Jesus left.
4. In looking deeper at the meaning of this passage: The Holy Spirit was going to systematically announce what wisdom and knowledge Jesus possessed.
Again, the Holy Spirit wasn’t going to pronounce new things, but was going to elaborate on things that Jesus had done at the Cross to extend the Kingdom of God….but it was to be a Companion journey of continual revealing.
5. Nowhere does Jesus pronounce that the Holy Spirit’s work would be finished on AD….!
It was to be a continuation of what Jesus was doing for His people. The same work of the Holy Spirit is to happen for us today …. just as He did when Jesus sent the Holy Spirit after His departure from Earth.
The Holy Spirit still has the same job today as Jesus did back then.
So what does all this mean for us today? It’s still great news!
1. The Lord Jesus still talks to His people through the Holy Spirit today as He did 2,000 years ago and as Jehovah did in the Old Testament. Conversations with God are still possible and I believe, essential to the life of any Jesus Follower.
2. Nowhere in history is it recorded that God stopped talking to us.
Not with the coming of the Holy Spirit, not with the foundations of the early church, not with the persecution of the early Christians, not with the passing of the early church founders, not with the printing of the Bible and certainly not with the challenges facing His people today. We need to hear from Him more than ever!
3. If you have not known this, or have not tried to start this part of your spiritual walk, welcome to a great adventure with Jesus. Learning to hear from Him will change your whole faith journey. We hope this Blog will help you on your belief system that God does talk to us today!
4. Or, if you, like so many, know this with your head but have not really allowed Him to enter a heart understanding that He wants to talk to you, than welcome also. We’ll have much to add to your faith and inspiration also.